May 31, 2014

Monthly Medley

Red

It might be obvious to some of you, but it actually surprised me when I realised the insane amount of time I spend in front of a computer every day. Although I try to dedicate some time preparing and writing my posts to make sure you only get the best out of me, I spend most of the time in front of my laptop––or my iPad––reading all sorts of things.

If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter, you might have noticed recently that I've been sharing some of the things I read –those I think are worth sharing with you. But I decided it would be cool to make a monthly round-up some of my best finds, à la Gala Darling's Carrousel. So this is what I'll be doing at the end of each month in my Monthly Medley.

These were the links I loved the most in May:

– The best rooftops to visit this summer in New York

I think most people actually do care about what they wear, because it’s such an obvious signifier to the world outside of how you are. Even by deciding that you’re going to wear nothing but an old sweatshirt and jeans or chinos, and never anything else. That’s quite a big statement to make. I think since most people care, they should try and get some pleasure out of it rather than worry about it.
– Who says you need to be perfect to inspire others? Gala Darling says, f**k perfect!

– Rachel Zoe shares some career advise for recent graduates

– Garance Doré writes –in a perfectly beautiful way, as always– about female empowerment and success:
Because true success is knowing who you really are and what’s your own definition of success. (Even if that sounds like a stupid Pinterest quote.)

– Some old –but still wonderful– words about Bill Cunningham's Façades

– Cocorosa collects some amazing Summer DIYs for this season!

– (Not always so) wise words from fashion's most influential characters

– Beautiful pictures showing the Secrets of Hermès

– Carine Roitfeld's most inspirational Denim Guide

– Katie Rodgers' Lady in Oscar illustrations are to die for!

She taught me so many things, but mostly to know yourself and to spend time in front of the mirror to figure out what's good and what's bad –on the inside and on the outside. Then work out around that, and play with that –to just embrace yourself; I think that's very valid advice to help yourself know who you are. It's not about being narcissistic. It's about being good to yourself, which allows you to be good to others.
– Jennie Runk talks about feminism & body image:
There's no reason any person should feel like they're worth less than they really are because of something as variable and superficial as their body type. A person is so much more than the body they live in, everyone should know that.
STYLEBOP.com fashion editor Leila Yavari talks about choosing a career in fashion over earning a Ph.D:
I no longer spend my time thumbing through Foucault or thinking through the logic of late capital. But I have a sharply honed critical eye—one that is hyperaware of the divide between surface and intellect, appearance and truth. And it's an age-old opposition that always pops up in the most unexpected places.

– Alexa Chung opens up about her beauty routine:
When I’m wearing makeup, I choose between doing my eyes or mouth because I don’t want to look like a beauty pageant child. I’ve got quite a strong face—if it’s got too much on, I just look like a man in drag.

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio