June 30, 2014

Monthly Medley: June

Paris

June marks the beginning of a real summer, so most of my reads this month were summer-inspired, and pretty much fun and easy to read. You'll also find some interviews and other interesting stories I read, but I sincerely recommend to browse some of my summer inspiration this month!

– The story behind the global business of superstar designer Tom Ford (and there's also a part 2)
And perhaps, this, more than anything, is the secret to the business of being Tom Ford: an indefatigable work ethic combined with an innate desire to build things.

– We should all keep an eye on Hugo Matha

– The best beach reads for this summer!

Dress code for dummies

– Who What Wear's 30 day Summer outfit challenge

– I might do Gala Darling's Radical Self Love Instagram Challenge during July, describe as:
the opportunity to explore your relationship to yourself and others, as well as becoming instantly connected to a bevy of radical self love babes.
– Garance DorĂ© and writes down her Pot Time Stories
And after that, I finally understood once and for all: marijuana makes me hungry and puts me to sleep, so basically it makes me fat and boring. SO MAYBE IT WAS TIME TO STOP WITH THE NONSENSE. 
I quit. I found my personality. I became “the girl who doesn’t smoke” (my personality has other sides to it, but that’s a topic for another day) and I wasn’t afraid to say so. So much better. So much funnier. Cooler. Better parties.

–Domaine shows us how to arrange flowers like a pro

– A scary reason why some men love handguns more than women:
For years the NRA defended laws that kept guns in the hands of known domestic abusers. Which makes it all the more chilling to recall the No. 1 reason on my college landlord’s list of reasons why guns are better than women: “You can buy a silencer for a handgun.” The sickening truth is you can buy a silencer for a woman. It’s a called a handgun.
– This website is my new go-to hairstyle inspiration tutorials database

– Rachel Hills on de-stigmatising bulimia:
Eating disorders aren’t usually one thing or the other: sympathetic or self-indulgent, socially mediated or singular. They are all of those things at the same time. And in some ways, the stigmatizing and romanticizing of eating disorders are two sides of the same coin. Both stop the people who suffer from them from seeking treatment, and set them up as misunderstood mavericks who are fighting against an uncompassionate world. Truly destigmatizing bulimia means moving beyond these worn-out stories, and looking the disease straight in the eye — ugliness and all.
Summer dreaming inspired by Doutzen Kroes

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio