December 8, 2014

Christmas Traditions: Candle Party!

Candle Party!

Candle Party!

Candle Party!

One of my favourite Colombian traditions is lighting candles on December 7. It's originally supposed to celebrate the rise of Virgin Mary to Heaven––yes, we're a deeply Catholic country––but to me it was more like a fun excuse to play around with my friends, eat good traditional dishes, and spend time with my family.

Although this year I skipped the whole traditional dishes/family time this year, I did have the chance to light some candles and celebrate with one of my closest childhood friends, who happens to be visiting for a few days. We also tried to remember our childhood days when we used the candle wax to do huge balls and other figures, but apparently that's an ability that goes away as you grow up... We failed completely when trying to do out figures!

But we did have a lot of fun, and I'm glad I have her with me for a few days. It definitely makes me feel less far from home!

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio