December 9, 2014

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

Dim Sum has got to be one of my favourite things to do in the weekends––although I must confess it's only a recent tradition, and I should definitely give credits to my friend Shirley for introducing me to it. So when I received one of my childhood best friends in New York on Saturday night, I knew I had to take her for dim sum on Sunday.

We went to Nom Wah, which was apparently the first dim sum parlour in New York. And if there's one reason why it has survived through the decades, it has got to be the food. It is nothing but amazingly delicious! The problem, however, is that it is so good that the place gets packed pretty early and there's usually a waiting line.

This time, thankfully, we only had to wait for about 10 minutes––probably because we made it there just after noon––before being able to go inside and indulge with lots of great food.

We started with some scallion pancakes...

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

...followed by shrimp rice rolls...

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

...spring rolls...

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

...house special roast pork roll...

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

...fried shrimp balls...

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

...shanghainese soup dumplings...

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

...and sweet and sour spare ribs.

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

We ended with fried sesame ball with lotus paste.

Restaurant Outings: Nom Wah

Our original plan was to go out for ice cream after dim sum, but you might guess it never happened. We ate so much––and drank too much jasmine green tea––that there was no space in out tummies for more food. So instead, we went out for a long walk around town and had fun being reunited after ages!

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio