December 25, 2013

Christmas Dinner

One of the things I love the most about Christmas is that it is almost a worldwide holiday. Even if different cultures celebrate it different ways, I'm pretty sure almost everyone around the world knows the magic of Christmas trees and fairy lights, and the sound of Santa's laugh.

One of my favourite traditions in Colombia is having dinner on Christmas Eve. Ever since I was a small child, I remember seeing my mum and my grandma baking a huge turkey for all of us to eat. I remember playing with my three cousins until Santa came with our presents. I remember being as happy as I could possibly be!

This year––and it has been similar for several years now––it was a quieter Christmas: just my mum and dad, my sister, and I. But we couldn't skip the turkey. It's definitely the best turkey on Earth and I would never miss it. This time, we had it with potato salad. My dad contributed with a special wine he had saved for a special occasion––a Santa Rita sauvignon blanc Reserve 2007––and I made some mushrooms for a starter, and the dessert was our favourite chocolate cake!

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

We had dinner at home: a place that I used to believe could compare to Santa's own place of living. My mum is the hugest Christmas addict I've ever seen, and she has always decorated the house with the best of Christmas. I remember my friends from school loved to count how many Christmas trees there were––and this number was never below 20! And this year it was as magical as always: full of lights and love!

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Christmas Eve Dinner

Oh, and Rudolph came by to say hello!

Christmas Eve Dinner

Merry Christmas!!!

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio