December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

As I mentioned before, we don't usually celebrate Thanksgiving in Colombia. However, one of my friends, Dani, decided to adopt this beautiful holiday, so she hosts a traditional Thanksgiving Dinner every year at her home.

Although it is usually a magical day, when we –read: a crazy group of 20+ people who somehow became friends a couple of years ago– reunite, have some fun and write thank you cards. I must accept that we give thanks for the weirdest things on Earth –but that's exactly how we all are and how we love each other!

But the best part about Thanksgiving Dinner has got to be... well... dinner! This year I ate until the point I felt as if I was about to die! As you will see in the pictures below, there were tons of food! And, unbelievable as it may sound, we ate it all! Not a single bite was left!

Dani's turkey is the second best I've ever tried in my whole life––Sorry D, my mum has got to be the winner! Most of the other things were cooked by some other person who attended the party. This is probably what I love the most about thanksgiving dinner: everybody gets to share something with all of us, and this is probably one of the best things about friendship!

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Then came dessert. I was so full I didn't even try them all! But my favourite one was the pina colada flan (something like a panna cotta, but with pina colada flavor), which was prepared by Dani's sister. If I manage to convince her to share her secret recipe with me, I might post it at some point. Trust me, you need to try it!

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

When we were not eating––yes, we did have times when nobody was eating––we just had fun. People told stories, we laughed at some of our friends, and we just had a very happy evening. And this is all thanks to Dani, who's always caring about keeping our friendship alive, giving us new memories to share, year after year. It's a real shame I didn't take a picture of her... The good thing, though, is that she owes me a tea soirĂ©e, so I will hopefully have some pictures of her to share with the world soon!

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving Dinner

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio