July 23, 2013

Travel Diaries: See You Soon, Florence!

In the morning of our last day in Florence, we hired a tour guide to take us around the place. We decided this is the perfect city to walk around with someone who can tell you about the history of the place! You might thing it was my idea –yes, we all know I'm the geek one here!– but it was actually my mum's. She decided she should get cultured by someone who knew better than any of us...

Our tour began at the Duomo, and then we walked all the way to the Galleria dell'Accademia, where Michelangelo's David lies. I don't know if any of you has ever seen it before, but it's amazing how Michelangelo managed to sculpt these amazing pieces. I honestly couldn't do it myself and, to tell the truth, I doubt anyone but Michelangelo would actually be able to do it!

One thing I loved about visiting this place was a group of students that was drawing the sculpture from different perspectives. If I had the time, I would've probably joined them... Although they shouldn't expect much of my work! I guess that's why I'm not an Art student!

After visiting the museums, our tour guide took us on a short road trip all the way across the Arno river, to a place called Piazzale Michelangelo. Here lies a bronze version of the David, but the main attraction of the place is the amazing view you get from Florence. It's truly breathtaking!

Florence

Florence

Florence

Florence

Florence

Florence

Florence

After the tour ended, we went for lunch at some Trattoria in the city center. I decided to have the penne della casa, which had tomato, basil (as usual!), olives and eggplant. To be honest, it wasn't that delicious, but it tasted like home. And after all this time travelling, some home-made food seemed just perfect!

Florence

Florence

Florence

Florence

After lunch, we headed back to the hotel and checked out. We then took the train to continue on our way south! So expect posts from a different location starting tomorrow!

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio