July 30, 2013

Travel Diaries: Madrid, The Last Stop

Before coming back home, we spent a couple of days in Madrid. To be honest, we only did this because we knew we were gonna be exhausted after all the things we did in France and Italy, so taking a couple of days to relax in Madrid sounded just perfect.

We arrived in Madrid in the afternoon, took a nap and then went out to have something to eat. We decided to go to Plaza Mayor and drink some sangría with tapas. Luckily enough, it turned out that day was the Día de Galicia, so we had the chance to see some amazing performances of traditional dances. It was truly lovely!

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

The next day, it was my beautiful sister's birthday, so we decided to celebrate it eating some paella at the delicious Restaurante L'Albufera (near the Hotel Meliá Castilla). We ate –a lot more than we should have–, my sister had a tiny bit of a birthday cake, and we had lots of fun. I'm pretty sure this has been one of her best birthdays so far. She loved it!

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

After all this food, we were so full, that we decided to take a short walk, while doing some touristic sightseeing. We passed Cibeles and then headed to La Gran Via, before going back to the hotel to pack our suitcases.

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

Madrid

It's amazing how fast these holidays went by! It had been a very long time since I last spent such a long time with my mum and my sister, and I really missed it. I somehow grew used to travel on my own and this whole experience of family holidays was lost in my childhood memories... But travelling with two of the people I love the most in the world was definitely something I wouldn't have changed for anything else!

Happy summer!

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio