August 6, 2014

Travel Diaries: Cartagena Day 3

My third day in Cartagena was probably my favourite so far. I spent the morning getting tanned with my sister by the pool, and then went for lunch to one of my dad's favourite restaurants: La Casa de Socorro. It is apparently famous now, but my dad remembers visiting even before I was born, and loving the seafood there. And it's still delicious, so if you ever visit Cartagena, I sincerely recommend it!

I had some crab claws with patacones (fried plantain, basically) for a starter, and then a prawn, shrimp, and lobster stew with yet more patacones and coconut rice as the main dish. To be honest, I couldn't tell which was better. But what I can tell you is that I walked out very full and happy from that place. Cartagena never lets my inner foodie down, and that's probably the main reason why I always want to come back.

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

We then walked around town to digest all that food. One of the things I really love about the city centre is how colourful all the little houses are. And the balconies. I remember dreaming with having a beautiful balcony covered with bougainvillea flowers in my home when I was a child.

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

We arrived back in our hotel just in time to see the sunset. And although it was a little cloudy, the colours of the sun were absolutely stunning. I think I'm starting to doubt going to New York now... Couldn't I just stay eating the best seafood and watching the sunset every day in Cartagena forever?

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio