August 7, 2014

Travel Diaries: Cartagena Day 4

Day 4 in Cartagena was all about the food. I had a meeting in the early afternoon––nope, apparently I can't stop working even for a full week––so we decided to try any restaurant we could find close to the hotel. And it happened to be La Cocina de Cartagena, which is only a couple of blocks away.

Although I've grown up and now eat fish––I would starve before eating fish when I was a child (except for Mojarra frita, of course)––I sort of wanted something different. I started with patacones––my favourite––and then wanted to get a posta negra cartagenera, which is a typical beef dish from the region. Unfortunately they didn't have it available, so I ended up having another dish with meat, prepared with sauteed vegetables, and accompanied by mashed plantain, yuca and ñame––all three typical from the region.

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

My sister and dad both chose to have fish, which looked absolutely delicious––although I didn't really try them.

Cartagena

Cartagena

I then had my meeting, and we went out walking around the centre after the sun set.

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

We then went to Mila, which is probably my favourite patisserie in Cartagena, where we overdosed in sugar. I also had a traditional, handmade coffee, which is just amazingly aromatic because it's prepared right before you drink it.

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Cartagena

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio