January 15, 2014

Travel Diaries: Rome, Day 2

I've always been a true believer that, if you come to Italy, you should eat like you're in Italy! And one of the most important characteristics of eating in Italy has got to be the quantity of the food... Which means eating several starters, a primo piatto––aka pasta––, seconds piatto––meat and its friends––and dessert. Oh, and bread to eat the sauces you leave behind. And wine, of course!

I must confess that around 6pm on my second day in Rome, I was going to call it a pretty boring one. I woke up around 8:30 to attend a meeting, and then I had only a little over an hour to stroll around the streets near the hotel. I loved it because it's a very quiet neighbourhood––which actually reminds me of where my best friends lived in Paris during their gap year and makes me want to move there right now––but it's not the most touristic thing to do.

During the afternoon, I had to attend the opening ceremony of the conference I'm participating on––the whole reason why I'm here, actually––and that was it. As soon as it finished, I was told we were going to Taylor's Restaurant. They called it that way because nobody knows it's actual name and Taylor––one of my travel buddies––loves it!

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

We walked for around an hour, trying to find this wonderful place. It's really near to Campo dei Fiori, and it's actually called Trattoria der Pallaro. It's owned by a wonderful cook, who apparently loves us. She even gave hugs to one of my friends!

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

The meal was huge. But also amazing and very Italian! We started with some prosciutto, olives and bread. We then had some lentils with fried fish and cheese. The first dish was pasta––naturally! It consisted of some paccheri cacio e pepe and something I would call paccheri al telefono––although I might be wrong. We then had some meat––something similar to pork, I'd say––, salad, and mozzarella di bufala. We ended up with a lemon desert, which was absolutely delicious!

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

We then went back walking to the hotel, trying to digest all this food. And off to bed, after one of the best meals I've had in a very long while!

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Rome, January 2014

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio