January 21, 2014

A Weekend in Terni

As part of the conferences I'm taking part of while in Italy, we spent the weekend commuting from Rome to Terni. For those of you who don't know, this is a little town, located around an hour away from Rome, heading to the northeast. It is absolutely magical, although there's not much to do.

We were busy most of the time during the conferences, but we had the chance to walk around this wonderful place. One of the most interesting things is the mix between old buildings and more modern forms of architecture. What I heard is that many old buildings were destroyed during World War II, so that's why there are also a lot of more recent buildings.

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

On our first day there, we went to a new restaurant called Cucinaà. We had a tagliata di chianina con ratatouille, which was by far the best meat I've had in a long while. It came with cooked vegetables, although they weren't so good.

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

That afternoon we had tea with tiramisù, and I absolutely loved them––mainly only because I was craving to have some tiramisù!

The next day, we had pasta for lunch at the slowest restaurant I've ever visited. I had strozzapreti alla norcina, a very mushroom-y sauce. It was really good, but I couldn't finish my dish, since my body was rejecting Italian food that day.

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

The next day we had to eat at the exact same place, since it was Sunday and nothing else was open. I wasn't very excited about the idea, but my choice totally made up for the bad service. I chose to have some gnocchi with beans, meat and tomato sauce. This was the best dish I'd had––until then... You'll have to come back to find my new favourite! We also had chocolate cake with cream filling, which was delicious!

Terni, January 2014

Terni, January 2014

By this time we were ready to grab the train and head back to one more magical night in Rome, before leaving for Naples. But I'll talk about this tomorrow!

Love,

Photography: Laura Beltran-Rubio